A Fork on the Road: Melreese Country Club Restaurant
Discover a little-known gem near Miami International Airport
Melreese Country Club Restaurant
1802 NW 37th Ave, Miami
Hours: 8am-7:30pm Tuesday-Saturday, 8am-4pm Sunday and Monday
Prices: Breakfast $3.95-$8.95, appetizers $6.95-$8.95, entrees/sandwiches $5.95-$14.95
FYI: The clubhouse banquet room is available for catered parties
Rebuilt in October, the International Links Melreese Country Club restaurant is open to the public with no dress code. During the week, doctors, lawyers and judges come here for lunch, and on weekends kids taking golf lessons grab burgers and fries.
Nicaraguan-born chef Marvin Urbina (Riviera Country Club, Tutu Pasta, Giacomo) was hired to create the menu, which takes guests from breakfast (potato pancakes, waffles, frittatas) through lunch and, Tuesday through Saturday, early dinner.
The lunch and dinner crowds can start with pan-seared crab cakes with capers, baked Buffalo wings or George Mira conch fritters, named for a UM quarterback great from Key West. Salads range from house Cobb to blackened mahi-mahi on spinach with strawberries, orange segments and hearts of palm with blue cheese dressing. Five types of soup are served daily, from escarole with white beans to octopus in cilantro broth with peas, carrots and rice.
There's wide selection of sandwiches, too: Hebrew National hot dog on an egg roll topped with chili; the Charlie's burger (a grilled patty of ground chuck and brisket topped with Gorgonzola); corned beef, egg salad or a huge club with in-house roasted turkey on rye, Kaiser roll or whole wheat; tuna and chicken melts on crusty focaccia, and whole-wheat tortilla wraps with grilled chicken or veggies with roasted red peppers.
More upscale tastes will enjoy the grilled salmon fillet in saffron cream sauce with diced scallops and micro greens or fork-tender short ribs in demi-glace on garlic mashed potatoes. Risotto with squid ink and pizza with pecorino are also options.
Tarte tatin makes for a sweet finish at this little-known gem near Miami International Airport.
- STK Miami opening delayed after sprinkler accident causes extensive damage
- Freshii: Fast food that's healthy and tastes good
- Cibo Wine Bar expands to South Beach
- New looks for local South Florida craft beers
- Top 10 most popular Miami food/drink places on Instagram in 2014
- The List: The Dutch's Conor Hanlon
- Say 'Opa!' to new Cleo restaurant in the Redbury Hotel in Miami Beach
- Stephen Starr to open second restaurant in Bal Harbour
- Philly diner Green Eggs Cafe opens in Aventura
- New restaurants add to Doral's food options