A Fork on the Road: La Tasca Tapas at Panizza
As the sun goes down, the tapas comes out at Lincoln Road's La Tasca
Just as the sun sets on Lincoln Road, Panizza turns into La Tasca. Music and candles complete the Argentine bakery-café's transition to the sort of rustic Spanish tapas and wine bar for which La Tasca is named. Its chef, Fernando Echeverri, is from Pamplona in northern Spain near Basque Country. His parents entertained a lot, and he became his mother's sous chef.
Grown and working as a musician, he headed to New York in the early 1980s, and hung out at a restaurant where a friend tended bar. When the cook quit, he took over the kitchen, later getting formal training at the New York Restaurant School. Three months ago he worked out the tapas arrangement with Panizza's owners.
Echeverri's food is vibrant, with balanced flavors influenced by nueva cocina vasca, new Basque cuisine that borrowed from French nouvelle cooking. Order a glass of Txakoli wine with citrusy notes and tiny bubbles to enjoy with grilled chipirones (tender baby squid) on a bed of sautéed leeks with a drizzle of lemon garlic oil.
Cold tapas include cured cod fish salad with chickpeas, thinly sliced sea scallops in a light dressing of olive oil and aged vinegar and piquillo peppers stuffed with tuna tartare mixed with garlic aioli and tiny capers. Bombas de queso brings fried goat cheese balls with orange blossom honey. Grilled octopus is plated over diced potato and sliced celery, red onions and peppers with semi-sweet Moscatel vinegar. Breaded and fried oysters come on a hash of potato and spicy chistorra sausage.
Pinxto are Basque crostini with various toppings. Try spicy chocolate sauce with chorizo or sardines with roasted tomatoes. Gateau vasque is an almond cake filled with patissiere crème spiked with rum and orange zest. If food has rhythm, it sings here.
La Tasca Tapas at Panizza
1229 Lincoln Rd, Miami Beach
Hours: 6-11pm Sunday-Thursday, 6-midnight Friday and Saturday
Prices: Tapas $2.50-$16.50, crostini $6.95-$8.75, desserts $4.90-$5.25
FYI: Live Flamenco with paella Wednesday nights; catering available
- A barbecued grilled cheese with Heat -- Miami Heat, that is
- Here's why you should call Dolores ... Miami Smokers for the summer
- We ordered free ice cream from UberEATS. Here's what happened
- South of Spice dining event is a luxurious taste of South Beach
- These 9 Miami food and cocktail events are so good we can't pick just one
- Why this chef wants to bring fine dining to Cuba
- Uber will bring you free ice cream Friday
- Miami Chefs Taking Their Talents to Casa de Campo For a Weekend
- How this Indian restaurant is raising the foodie game in Kendall
- How you can get your gourmet doughnut fix in Miami Beach