A Fork on the Road: 101 Ocean
101 Ocean a breezy beach spot
101 E. Commercial Blvd, Lauderdale-by-the Sea
Hours: 11:30am-11pm (full menu) 11pm-1am (late-night menu)
Prices: Appetizers $8.95-$12.95, sandwiches $10.95-$14.95, entrees $16.95-$28.95, desserts $6.95-$7.95
FYI: Happy hour 5-7 p.m.; DJ and dancing after 11 p.m. Street party with live jazz and an Elvis impersonator Friday and Saturday nights.
Just 50 yards from the turquoise waters of the Atlantic in postcard-pretty Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, 101 Ocean has a breezy, informal vibe that's just right after a day of swimming in the surf or fishing at the pier. Owner Mike Batt rebuilt an old Mulligan's two years ago so he could have a place to hang out with friends. Manager Anthony D'Elia brought along more than 20 years of experience (Penrod's, Big City Tavern), and chef Chris Magielnicki has a knack with seafood.
Sit under paddle fans indoors or out and lunch or snack on salads, burgers, pizza, pasta or cracker-thin flatbreads topped with smoked salmon and crème fraiche or lemon pepper chicken and roasted peppers. Seafood plays a starring role in lobster ravioli, mussels in tomato basil sauce or white wine and garlic and a platter loaded with oysters, clams, mussels, Florida lobster tails and peel-and-eat shrimp on ice with horseradish-spiked cocktail sauce.
If a day in the sun has worked up your appetite, there's a 16-ounce, bone-in cowboy steak with red wine demi-glace and Parmesan mashed potatoes or lasagne layered with sweet sausage, ricotta and marinara sauce. Lighter dishes include the goat cheese salad with baby greens, endive, sun-dried cranberries and candied walnuts in grainy mustard vinaigrette or pan-fried red snapper with stir-fried vegetables.
And save room for white chocolate bread pudding with blueberries pooled in raspberry sauce.
- Sustainable seafood stars at Wild Sea on Las Olas
- The BOL brings an "elevated Asian experience" to Seminole Hard Rock
- Steak 954 hosts a "Bourbon on the Brain" fundraiser
- Amatsu brings "heavenly" sushi to the Westin Fort Lauderdale
- Get Festive: Blues, Brews & BBQ and Las Olas Wine & Food 2013
- Wild Sea Oyster Bar brings seafood to Fort Lauderdale's Riverside Hotel
- Margate's Fusion Latin Cuisine celebrates its grand opening March 21
- Fort Lauderdale's The Grateful Palate revamps for spring 2013
- Sirocco brings Mediterranean eats to Seminole Hard Rock
- Caffeinate with free coffee in Pembroke Pines