A Farmer’s Market, for real
Tucked away on the Jackson Memorial Hospital Campus is a farmer’s market that renews our hope in all things organic.
By Dinkinish O’Connor
So, you haven’t been impressed with the Farmers Market scene in Miami. I don’t blame you. Green seemed more Gotham than gratification, right?
Well, one Thursday, I stumbled upon one of the most exciting Farmers Markets experiences I’ve had in Miami. Right in the Jackson Memorial Hospital Campus, I watched an old, Latin woman pounding a mountain of creamy avocado in a mortar for freshly made guacamole.
Then there was the display case of fresh, flaky chocolate croissants. There were baskets filled with mangoes, apples, bananas, tomatoes, and nectarines. So if you don’t have money for the raw lasagna, you can just buy a fruit and enjoy the vibe on the park chairs.
But if you do have $12 to drop on Lady Lamoy’s living food platter, go for it (You can also get half a platter for $6). The curry cashew, earth and sea salad and plantain ceviche is so fragrant and delicious, you may just consider the vegan movement. If you’re a faithful carnivore, you can enjoy pork empanadas, barbecue ribs paella and jerk chicken wings that you can top with Gerbaud Bakery’s homemade pikliz (a Haitian pickled veggie spice). There’s even a homemade popcorn vendor.
As you wade through the light-hearted munching and chatting, you notice the green-garbed body sifters and the occasional rotten leg-brother, and it’s hard to believe this is a hospital courtyard that shares all this natural splendor with, um, McDonald’s.
The Market Company Jackson Memorial Foundation Green Market at Alamo Park, 1611 NW 12th Avenue (inside the Jackson Memorial Hospital Campus), 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. on Thursdays.
For more info go to: www.themarketcompany.org
See and Do
- Filmgate Interactive festival spotlights experimental film and performance
- Miami Events - February 2015
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - Jan. 30-Feb. 1
- Marshmallows, free yoga, American Girl crafts & freebie fun: Munchkin Fun's top picks
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Jan. 23-25
- South Florida theater season is heating up
- Fairchild's International Chocolate Festival returns
- ‘Late Night’ host Seth Meyers goes back to stand up roots in Miami
- Chocolate festivals, family gardening, American Girl & Home Depot: Top picks Jan 20-25
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - Jan. 23-25