7 restaurant events to check out this month
From Miami to Fort Lauderdale, these September dining events are worth checking out.
September is shaping up to be a busy month for interesting restaurant events, from wine, bourbon and beer dinners to movie nights. Here are seven on our radar:
1. Cinema Wednesdays at Taperia Raca
Every Wednesday in September, Taperia Raca will screen a movie in high definition on its outdoor patio at 7010 Biscayne Blvd. in Miami. Chef de cuisine Michelle Saavedra is creating movie-themed treats like savory and sweet popcorn flavors as well as Spanish-influenced nachos. Diners will be able to order food and drink via text message. Reservations are suggested; seating is at 7:30 p.m., and movies start at 8 p.m. Film schedule: Pan's Labyrinth (Sept. 3), Desperado (Sept. 10), Bloe (Sept. 17), Mask of Zorro (Sept. 24).
2. Wine Battle at Steak 954
Stephen Starr's Steak 954 at the W Fort Lauderdale (401 N. Fort Lauderdale Beach Blvd.) hosts the next installment of its War of the Wines dinner series on Thursday, Sept. 4, with an Old World (Europe) v. New World (California) showdown. Each of five courses, including grilled prawns, lobster ravioli, lamb lollipops and beef Wellington, will be paired with two wines for diners to pick their favorites. Dinner begins at 7 p.m. Tickets are $100 a person, excluding tax and tip. Reservations required: 954-414-8333.
3. Turkish, Greek and Spanish Dinner at Barceloneta
Barceloneta chef Juliana Gonzalez and Mandolin Aegean Bistro chef Erhan Ozkaya will collaborate on a Turkish, Greek and Spanish dinner at Barceloneta in South Beach (1400 20th St.) on Sept. 10. Their seven-course menu comes with an optional wine pairing and a la carte specialty cocktails. Dinner costs $48 ($68 with wine). Guests can book tables from 6 p.m. to midnight. Reservations: 305-538-9299.
4. Spotlight on Light Wines at Chima
Sommelier Larry Baker of Chima Brazilian Steakhouse in Fort Lauderdale (2400 E. Las Olas Blvd.) is lightening things up with Chima's wine dinner on Sept. 10. A French rosé, sauvignon blanc from California and white port are among the selected pairings with gazpacho, grilled swordfish and more. The four-course meal starts at 7 p.m. and costs $70 a person. Reservations required by Sept. 8: 954-712-0580.
5. Bourbon Dinner at Meat Market
Meat Market (915 Lincoln Rd.) in Miami Beach celebrates national bourbon month with a four-course pairing dinner on Sept. 16. Chef Sean Brasel and mixologist Ezra Pattek have designed a menu that finishes with a Jack Daniels pecan tart with whiskey foam and bourbon-sassafras ice cream paired with a shakeup of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked Bourbon, mezcal and cold-brewed coffee. The event begins at 7:30 p.m. and costs $65 a person, excluding tax and tip. Reservations: 305-532-0088.
6. Film Fest Director's Wine Dinner at db Bistro Moderne
Daniel Boulud's db Bistro Moderne (255 Biscayne Blvd. Way) continues its Miami's Own Wine Dinner Series on Sept. 16 with special guest Jaie Laplante, director of the Miami International Film Festival. Laplante and chef Jason Pringle have worked on the multi-course menu and Spanish wine pairings. The event begins at 6:30 p.m. and costs $75 plus tax and tip. Reservations: 305-421-8800.
7. Rodney Strong Wine Dinner at the Biltmore
Sonoma Valley's Rodney Strong Vineyards is celebrating its silver anniversary with four dinners happening simultaneously in different U.S. cities on Sept. 20, including at the Biltmore Hotel (1200 Anastasia Ave.) in Coral Gables. Biltmore chefs will be joined by chef Josh Silvers of Jackson's Bar & Oven in Sonoma to create a special dinner paired with Rodney Strong wines. The meal begins at 8 p.m. and costs $225, inclusive of tax and tip. Reservations are available online.
- Taco & Tequila Showdown to pair Miami's best tortilla stuffers and spirits slingers
- Celebrity chef Alex Guarnaschelli to run restaurant at new Nautilus South Beach hotel
- Miami chefs lead Build Your Own Brunch to benefit United Way of Miami-Dade
- Pubbelly Sushi is being exported to the Dominican Republic
- Miami chefs to promote South Florida, equality in Costa Rica culinary trips
- Taste Paradise: Key Biscayne dining promotion runs Oct. 9-25
- Spring Chicken to open in former Miami's Best Pizza in Coral Gables
- Seed Food & Wine Festival returns to Miami for a celebration of plant-based cuisine
- The Forge in Miami Beach to host kickoff dinner for James Beard Foundation program
- Chefs Up Front dinners in Miami and Fort Lauderdale to benefit kids