+5: Recent Acquisitions from the Wolfsonian
The Wolfsonian Museum celebrates its 15 years with an exhibition of its acquisitions from the last five.
In 2005, 10 years after its launch, the Wolfsonian assembled X: A Decade of Collecting. Five years later, +5, curated by the Wolfsonian's Sarah Schleuning, has inspired another show of acquisitions. As is always the case with the Wolfsonian, everything on view is thoughtful, sharp and accessible as art, scholarship or pure entertainment.
Some of the acquired objects, such as Charles Cowles' gift of a 1900 George Ohr vase, are in the permanent Art and Design in the Modern Age show on the fifth floor. But most of the pieces are displayed in the full-on +5 show, occupying the seventh floor.
The first gallery is an elegant prelude to all the madcap modernism and the second gallery explores the Florida-as-Arcadia theme with works like Frederick Dana Marsh's 1928 drawings of Timucua Indian chief Macaya, William Henry Jackson's photograph of the Royal Palm Hotel on the impossibly bucolic Miami River and assorted Miami Beach postcards.
The third gallery touches on Anglo-Japanese design, Dutch Art Nouveau and the Bauhaus while the fourth gallery contains glimpses of commercial lyricism, such as the Charles Marshall gift of a Pullman Company leaflet culled from the Chicago Railroad Fair of 1948.
In the show's final gallery is a selection of propaganda art, one of the strengths of The Wolfsonian's collection, spanning the 2008 purchase of a Gio Ponti table sculpture with the symbol of Mussolini's Fascist government to a 1936 Vierthaler broadsheet denouncing ``degenerate art.''
+5: Recent Acquisitions from the Wolfsonian Collection, 1001 Washington Ave., Miami Beach; open noon to 6 p.m. Thursday, Friday and Sunday; noon to 9 p.m. Friday. Closed July 4.
+5: Recent Acquisitions from the Wolfsonian Collection
1001 Washington Ave., Miami Beach
Noon to 6 p.m. Thursday, Friday and Sunday; noon to 9 p.m. Friday. Closed July 4
$7 adults; $5 seniors, students with ID and children 6-12
See and Do
- Discounts! Freebies! Prizes! Oh, and you’ll have to take the bus
- 11 Holiday-themed Events in Miami
- Prism Creative Group has Miami's social itinerary - Dec. 1-15
- Free and cheap events in Miami this weekend - Dec. 2-4
- Super 8 Motels is ditching its old art and it can be yours
- 7 Reactions Cuban Americans Had to Fidel Castro’s Death
- Events in Miami in December 2016
- Courtney Love can now scratch musical theater off her bucket list
- Five Things to do After Stuffing Yourself on Thanksgiving
- All the feels locals have during Art Basel