5 Basel parties you'll want to crash
As some of Miami's most shameless party crashers scramble to prove their legitimacy and worthiness of Art Basel's highly coveted party invitations, others already on the RSVP lists are figuring ...
As some of Miami's most shameless party crashers scramble to prove their legitimacy and worthiness of Art Basel's highly coveted party invitations, others already on the RSVP lists are figuring out what to wear and how they'll manage to catch every single second of the hype and circumstance. We are keeping an eye on only those events featuring bona fide celebrities -- not celebrities in their own minds, and not celebrities on canvas. Here now, in no particular order, are the big-ticket Art Basel celeb events and spaces thus far:
2. Steve Martin book reading at the W South Beach Hotel & Residences. When: Wednesday. Who/what: The once wild 'n' crazy guy is a lot more tame and high-brow these days. But when he reads from his book, An Object of Beauty, (about the Manhattan art world), you'll find that he is still witty and amusing. Expect Martin to also be among the other A-listers at a private dinner that night at Mr Chow hosted by his pal, art dealer Larry Gagosian. Status: Forget about it.
3. MOCA Los Angeles Beach Party at the Raleigh Hotel. When: Wednesday. Who/what: The director of LA'S MOCA, Jeffrey Deitch, goes all out at what we think is Art Basel's best event. Last one we attended, we found ourselves on stage with the larger-than-life Beth Ditto and her band, Gossip, as Rachel Zoe looked on, mouthing the words, ``I die'' to her husband. This year's headliners? LCD Soundsystem. Status: This one requires pretty much everything, from blood samples and DNA tests proving you really are related to Grace Jones to your Social Security number for entry.
4. The Royal at the Raleigh. When: Throughout and after Art Basel. Who/what: Chef John DeLucie of NYC hot spot The Lion opens a similar outpost of such at The Raleigh, where American comfort food meets celebrity. Status: Not an easy reservation to snag but nonetheless open to a certain public. We're hearing The Royal may give some members-only clubs a run for their money -- and their celebrity clientele.
5. The Art of Seduction at the Wolfsonian. When: Wednesday. Who: Isabella Rossellini, who has collaborated with the Wolfsonian for a project called Seduce Me, will be feted at a $1,000-a-plate Robert Mondavi Winery dinner featuring Margrit Mondavi and the cuisine of Jean-Georges Vongerichten. Status: Capacity is 120. At last count it was already at 117.
IN OTHER NEWS
Supping together Monday night at Zuma: Miami Heat players Carlos Arroyo, LeBron James and Dwyane Wade.
Exiting Equinox South Beach on Tuesday afternoon: Alex Rodriguez and an unidentified blond.
Dining at Seasons 52 in Coral Gables on Sunday night, Michael Jordan.
On Our Radar
- Luis Miguel takes a bath in real estate deal
- Michael Buble's Instagram post criticized
- Estefans’ star search is over for ‘On Your Feet’
- Artist Romero Britto sues Apple
- Dave Chappelle parties, Bow Wow holds court
- Mario Lopez serves as grand marshal at Miami Beach Gay Pride parade
- Here's your chance to audition for 'La Banda"
- Scott Eastwood talks 'The Longest Ride' from ranch in Davie
- Shaggy talks new single, Brian Williams and state of reggae
- Justin Bieber joins Ariana Grande on stage