'Think Like a Man, Too'
Not as good as the first time... It’s better!
Ok, I'll admit it. I fell asleep watching the first "Think Like A Man" twice before I finally saw the entire movie. The film, an adaptation of comedian and syndicated talk show host Steve Harvey’s wildly successful self-help book, 'Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man' was one of the most successful movies of 2012, raking in $93 million at the box office on a $12 million budget. Enjoyable, yes, and funny. But nowhere near the sheer joy and constant laughter of Screen Gem’s latest release 'Think Like a Man Too' not exactly a sequel, more like the morning after.
We pick up with the cast arriving in Las Vegas for Michael's wedding and through a series of mishaps. Cedric (Kevin Hart) becomes the best man. Somehow confusing his “Groupon like” deal on a $40k a night suite for $4k, Ced goes from ballin’ to bawling and cooking up several hair brain schemes to get the money and get out of Vegas. You’ve no doubt seen the promos, so you can guess the scene with Kevin Hart dressed as Bam Bam from the Flintstones has something to do with this.
Some of it’s silly, no doubt, but it elevates films created with an African-American audience in mind to a level higher than your average Tyler Perry fare and certainly more entertaining than the slave narratives that won’t seem to go away. It is a classic romantic comedy with one couple trying to make it to the altar and other couples facing the challenges of falling, being and staying in love.
All of the original comedy’s stars return–– Hart ("Ride Along", "Let Me Explain"), Michael Ealy (“Almost Human", "About Last Night"), Taraji P. Henson (“Person of Interest,” "No Good Deed"), Terrence J (“E! News,” "Baggage Claim"), Jennifer Lewis ("Baggage Claim"), Romany Malco ("The 40 Year Old Virgin"), Gary Owen ("Ride Along", "Little Man"), La La Anthony (“La La’s Full Court Life,” "Baggage Claim"), Jerry Ferrara (“Entourage”), Meagan Good ("Anchorman 2", “Deception,”), Regina Hall ("Best Man Holiday", "Scary Movie"), and Gabrielle Union (“Being Mary Jane,” "Cadillac Records"). Adam Brody ("Lovelace," “The OC”), Dennis Haysbert (“24”), Wendi McLendon-Covey (“The Goldbergs,” "Bridesmaids") and David Walton (“About a Boy”) join the cast.
Now Kevin Hart was widely popular before, but he is a bonafide Hollywood star now and this film almost makes the rest of the cast supporting characters to Hart. To watch the trailer you’d think it was ALL Kevin ALL the time, but thankfully everyone gets room to stretch out and really make us laugh. Honestly, if you haven’t seen the first film don’t worry as "Think Like a Man Too" stands on its own whether you know the full backstories or not.
And the Mary J. Blige laced soundtrack for "Think Like a Man Too" with 14 brand new and cover songs including “SuitCase” and the single, "See That Boy Again" featuring Pharrell makes sure the film is satisfying on all fronts. Date night, Girls Night out, even the fellas could catch a couple of brews and a flick with this one.
I had a chance to sit down with two of the film’s stars, LaLa Anthony and Michael Ealy, at South Florida's go-to hotel for the rich, famous and royal, The Mandarin Oriental, for the South Florida press junket. So did your nights in Vegas compare to Miami? “Vegas is great," says Michael Ealy, "but we’ve got lots of love for Miami!"
"Think Like a Man Too" is rated PG-13 and hit theaters Friday, June 20. The soundtrack is in stores now. For more info and to see the video from the press junket at the Mandarin Oriental, click above.
Catch Jill Tracey with Love Life and the 411 weekdays 10 a.m. - noon on HOT 105 FM and late night on Friday Night Live midnight to 4 a.m.
- Miami Soul giveaway: Exclusive Invitation for “The Man in 3B” Red Carpet Film Screening
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Kindred the Family Soul, YPN Broward Day Party, Miami Under 40 Networking, and more
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Questlove spin session, House Party 25th Anniversary party, Mellow Dramatic Mondays
- Miami Soul: 5th Annual Overtown Music & Arts Festival featuring Raheem Devaughn, Melanie Fiona, and more
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Big Night in Little Haiti, Pines Food & Wine Festival, South Florida Book Festival and more
- Miami Soul: 2nd Saturdays Wynwood Art Walk guide of cool events to check out July 11
- National Urban League Conference takes over South Florida July 29 - August 2, 2015 with Hillary Clinton, Jeb Bush confirmed
- Miami Soul weekend guide: South Florida HBCU Picnic, RonDayVu Day Party, A Conversation on Haitian/Dominican Crisis
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Colors of the Caribbean, Big Night in Little Haiti featuring Akoustik Band, and more
- Taste of the Caribbean 2015: A Showcase of Caribbean Cuisine